Mississippi State Penitentiary is located in Parchman Mississippi. It is a mixed custody facility that houses minimum, medium, close custody and death row inmates. The current capacity of Mississippi State Penitentiary is 3,543 adult male offenders, 1,521 of which are in Unit 29 which is a farming support unit. This farming unit is responsible for providing food to three State prisons.
Mississippi State Penitentiary consists of 58 support buildings and seven housing units. Inmates can take vocational courses in agriculture, auto body repair, automotive/diesel mechanics, communications, HVAC, welding, carpentry, electrical, culinary arts and marine maintenance. In addition, inmates can earn a GED and adult basic education. Offenders who need to are encouraged to take substance abuse treatment programs, pre-release programs, and various faith based programs.
Visiting days and times will depend on the unit/custody class of the inmate.
- Medium and Minimum custody inmates have visiting on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am-2pm.
- Protective custody minimum offenders have visiting every Monday of the month except the 5th Monday of any month.
- Medium custody have visits on the second and fourth Mondays with medium closed custody inmates having visits on the third Monday.
- Closed custody Unit 29 have visits on the third Monday of each month.
- General population Unit 29 has visiting on the second and fourth Tuesdays and third and fourth Wednesdays of each month.
- Technical Violators have visits every Saturday with the exception of any 5th Saturday of the month.
- Death Row inmates have visiting on the first and third Tuesdays of the month.
- Long term Administrative Segregation inmates have a single hour non-contact visit on the second Monday in March, June, September, and December.